Ask Me Anything #1
You've been sending in emails, DMs and tweets so it seemed timely to answer all your questions in one go in a special 'Ask Me Anything' episode. Listen to the show for full details, but below is where you can find the links to anything mentioned in the episode. EG xx
Question 1. How to break into beauty writing?
Blog sites to look at include Tumblr, Wordpress, Wix and Squarespace. This website is built using Squarespace and I found it pretty painless to create the site and get it to do the things I needed it too. Listen to Sali here Sali Hughes Part 1.
Question 2. How to deal with Hair loss...
Speak to your GP, ask for a referral to a specialist or seek out a trichologist. Use the Institute of Trichologists as a reference. Philip Kingsley's London salon has three certified trichologists on staff and you can find their salon details here. Lucinda Ellery specialises in hair loss management and hair replacement solutions.
question 3. What are my favourite beauty products, and why?
Explained in full in the show, but here are the links...
- Origins GinZing SPF 15 Energy Boosting Moisturiser, £29.
- A'kin Rose & Geranium Creamy Cleanser, £19, and Pixi + Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse, £24.
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, £5.90.
- Real Techniques Multi Tech Brushes, from £10.
- Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Foundation, £37, Chanel La Teint Ultra Tenue Ultrawear Flawless Foundation, £37, Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, £7.99 and L'Oreal True Match Foundation, £9.99.
- Victoria Beckham Estee Lauder Lipstick in Nude Spice, £35 and Victoria Beckham Estee Lauder Bronzer in Saffron Gold, £48.
QUestion 4. returning guests/guest requests.
Answered in the show. I'm working on it...
question 5. who are my dream guests, and why?
Answered in the show but here are the links mentioned...
- RuPaul. What's the Tee with RuPaul and Michelle Visage. Joe Rogan and Henry Rollins talking about Ru on the Joe Rogan Experience.
- Michelle Visage. As Above.
- Anna Faris. I'm a big fan of her podcast Unqualified with Sim Sarna.
- Victoria Beckham. I would love speak to her about identity and how you can go from popstar to designer while maintaining your sense of self.
- Elle MacPherson. She was one of the original supermodels, but right from the off had a shrewd business brain - I think this would make for a fascinating conversation.
- Jo Malone MBE. Here's the piece I wrote for Get the Gloss about Jo's brand Jo Loves.
question 6. How do you/should I start a podcast?
Here are a few links you may find useful:
- iTunes Guide.
- The 27 Steps to get your podcast into iTunes by School of Podcasting.
- How to set up a podcast by Appendipity.
question 7. skincare, beauty and product advice...
Nadine Baggott Part 2 is a great guide for so much skincare advice. Caroline Hirons tackles acne in her visit to the podcast. Oh, and you can buy a trampete - in my opinion it's the ultimate depuffer - from Argos.
question 8. who has been my favourite guest so far?
All of them! Find the full podcast library here on iTunes.
question 9. anxiety.
Here's a video that Sam and Nic Chapman of Pixiwoo did about anxiety. I personally found it a real comfort to see someone like Sam, who I really admire and like personally, being so honest about something that can feel incredibly crippling. The Headspace App is a great resource, and I've been doing classes at TriYoga and also practising at home using online tutorials by Yoga with Adriene.
question 10. will i be doing facebook or instagram 'lives' in addition to the podcasts?
Simple answer... If you ask for it then absolutely, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt YES!